Monday, July 29, 2013

Back to School

Despite my very best efforts, I can't hide from it anymore.  Sissy starts Kindergarten in two and half weeks.  Regardless of my trepidation, I want her to feel prepared, confident, and excited.  So, today she and I took a special mommy and daughter day to buy school supplies.  It was fabulous, and in the process we may have created our back to school tradition.  

We dressed up, left the twins at home with my mom, and headed to the Disney Store for a new backpack.  We looked at every single backpack (and shoe, and costume, and doll), but she finally decided on the Merida pack.  She was a bit  disappointed to discover they were sold out of the matching lunch box.  She still wanted the pack though, so we were checking out when we found the very last Merida lunch box on display behind the counter!!  It seemed magical, and meant to be, and filled with great omens for a wonderful Kindergarten year.  She left with a spring in her step and a bit less fear about the impending change.

As we were walking out, I noticed the Build-A-Bear Workshop.  I had never done a Build-A-Bear with Sissy, but it dawned on me that a new (and very special) lovie, might be the perfect confidence boost for my tender little girl.  I had her pick a new friend who would accompany her to school.  A friend that would always be in her backpack reminding her how much I love her.  A friend she could hug when she needed to be brave.  Sissy picked a sweet little bunny, and very seriously made her wishes, gave her a heartbeat, and brought her to life.  She named her Furry, but has since been calling her Fluffy, Floofie, and Floo Floo.  Sissy informed me that its fine, she had two weeks before she has to figure out her name for sure!  I foresee Furry, or whatever her name turns out to be, spending many school days in Sissy's backpack.


After our outing to the mall, Sissy picked our lunch destination.  She selected her favorite Chinese buffet, and my sweet daughter ate her body weight in shrimp.  Somehow, she still had room for crab wontons, watermelon, cheese sticks, sherbert, and a cookie.  She even determinedly worked through the stale fortune cookie.  We talked a bit about Kindergarten, meeting her teacher, eating lunch at school, and other worries.

 
Finally, we headed to Wal-Mart to purchase the items on her Kindergarten supply list.  I made a list with little pictures of the items so she could lead the shopping trip.  Sissy picked scissors to match her back pack, seriously debated between the blue and pink pencil box, and otherwise made all the important decisions.  I love watching her feel empowered and independent.  

When we got back home, she proudly displayed all the purchases to her Gigi.  She had a story to tell about each one, and was ecstatic to introduce Furry to her brothers.  I believe she a took a big step towards not only accepting, but embracing the idea of Kindergarten.  Maybe I did too.  Maybe.


Okay, okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, this is really what she looked like after our marathon shopping trip ;)  It took some serious persuasion to get the happy picture.


Happy nearly the end of summer!

1 comment: