Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Carrot Cake Pancakes

When I was a little girl, my Dad made pancakes on Saturday mornings.  It is one of my favorite memories of my childhood!  I loved watching him measure out the dry goods, I loved that the page in the cookbook always had a thin dusting of flour, and I loved the smell of pancakes on the griddle.  

I have continued the tradition with my family.  Rain or shine, we have pancakes on Saturday morning.  It has become such a fixture in our house that the ritual provides stability even during uncertain times.  For instance, nine months pregnant with the twins, I made pancakes sitting on a stool.  The day after we brought them home, Daddy made our pancakes.  If we've had a bad day, its breakfast for dinner!  So, after years of pancakes, its seems only appropriate to share our recipe here.  This is one adaptation of The Joy of Cooking's Basic Pancake recipe.

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 large carrot, finely grated
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 cup chopped pineapple for garnish
  • Cream cheese frosting
 Method:
  1. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  
  2. Whisk together wet ingredients.  When mixed, add carrot and raisins.
  3. Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
  4. Scoop 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake onto a pre-heated griddle.  Cook until bubbles form and some have popped open.  Flip and cook until underside is slightly browned.
  5. Spread each pancake with a bit of cream cheese frosting (yes, it will melt), stack up several pancakes, top with pineapple, and serve!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment